At Austin Dental Arts, we utilize cutting-edge Digital Imaging Technology. Digital X-rays utilize 90% less radiation than traditional X-rays. In addition, it helps us retrieve valuable diagnostic information. Digital radiographs allow us to see everything we cannot see with our own eyes.
The advantages of digital imaging enables us to not only store patient images, but also enables us to quickly transfer them to appropriate specialists or insurance companies. Digital X-rays offer more precision since we view the image on a computer monitor, instead of holding up a 35mm film up to the light. This capability allows Dr. Shah to better explain your dental condition.
The advantages of digital scans over traditional x-rays enable us to not only store patient images, but also enable us to quickly transfer them to appropriate specialists or insurance companies. These scans offer more precision since we view the image on a computer monitor, instead of holding up a 35mm film up to the light. This capability allows Dr. Shah to better explain your dental condition.
Over-the-counter strips or paint-on gels rarely give patients the results they desire. Get your teeth whiter in a fraction of the time at Austin Dental Arts.
What is The ZOOM!® In-Office Whitening System?
- It is a bleaching process that lightens discoloration of enamel and dentin.
What can cause tooth discoloration?
- There are many causes. The most common include aging and consumption of staining substances such as coffee, tea or tobacco. During tooth formation, consumption of tetracycline, certain antibiotics or excessive fluoride may also cause tooth discoloration.
Who may benefit from tooth whitening?
- Just about anyone can benefit from tooth whitening. However, treatment may not be as effective or some as it is for others. Upon an oral exam, Dr. Shah can determine if you are a candidate for this procedure, including a shade assessment.
Is tooth whitening becoming more popular?
- Absolutely! A bright, beautiful smile can make a big difference. ZOOM!® In-Office Whitening System makes it easier and faster than ever before.
Is tooth whitening safe?
- Yes, research and clinical studies indicate that whitening teeth under the supervision of a dentist is safe. In fact, many dentists consider whitening the safest cosmetic dental procedure available. As with any tooth whitening product, it is not recommended for children under 13 years of age and pregnant or lactating women.
Do the results last a long time?
- By following some simple post whitening care instructions, your teeth will always be lighter than they were before. We recommend flossing, brushing twice daily, and touch-ups with a take-home gel. These are professional formula products designed specifically to keep your teeth their brightest. They are available through our office.
Is there any difference between over-the-counter tooth whiteners and professional dental products?
- Yes! Consulting Dr. Shah is always the first step to whitening your teeth safely. Over-the-counter tooth whitening strips, brush-on gels and toothpastes take weeks or months to whiten your teeth just a few shades. Our technology is clinically proven to whiten your teeth eight shades in one hour.
How does the ZOOM!® In-Office Whitening System work?
- The light-activated whitening gel’s active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide. As hydrogen peroxide is broken down, oxygen enters the enamel and dentin, bleaching any colored substance while keeping the structure of the tooth unchanged. The light aids in activating the hydrogen peroxide and helps it penetrate the surface of the tooth.
Is the in-office procedure painful?
- No. During the procedure, patients can actually watch television or listen to music. Many fall asleep.
Are there any side effects?
- Some people experience temporary increased tooth sensitivity to cold during treatment. These symptoms disappear within 1-3 days after interruption or completion of the treatment.
How long is the procedure?
- The entire procedure takes just over one hour. The procedure begins with a preparation period followed by one hour of bleaching. A five-minute fluoride treatment completes the procedure (we recommend a cleaning prior to the actual whitening session for best results).
Dr. Shah utilizes digital camera technology that helps enhance your understanding of your diagnosis. This camera allows our practice to view clear, precise images of your mouth, teeth and gums, in order for us to accurately make a diagnosis. With clear, defined, enlarged images, you see details that may be missed by standard mirror examinations. This can mean faster diagnosis with less chair-time for you!
Intraoral cameras also enable our practice to save your images in our office computer to provide a permanent record of treatments. These treatments can be printed as for you, other specialists, and your lab or insurance companies.
Dr. Shah and his team utilize high power, surgical loupes to enhance the precision of patient care.
Dentistry is micro-surgery. Using a similar microscope that an ophthalmologist uses enables us to create dental restorations with incredibility precise fit and finish. You just can’t fulfill that level of care with the naked eye.